Just A Little Bit Longer

Now it's not often that I'd comment online about something I've got that's a bit longer than I'm used to. But seeing as it has an impact on Grateful We're Not Dead I've just got to get a grip on it. However I'm finding that it's difficult to break old habits and teach my left hand to reach out just a bit further. But hopefully, the end is in site.

Of course, what I'm talking about is my new Fender Telecaster.


Fender Telecaster


The neck of the Telecaster is a bit longer than the the neck on my Fender Mustang which I played for 45 years.


My 45 Year Old Fender Mustang

I've gone from a 24" scale to a 25.5" scale; from 22 frets spread over 17.25" to 21 frets spread over 18". Now granted that leaves a bit more space between the frets which is nice when playing closer to the body of the guitar. However, it also means that the frets are not located where my mind tells me they should be. And at my age the mind is difficult to retrain, especially after 45 years. You've heard of old dogs and new tricks, eh?. Oops, that should have been A instead of Bb. Now I find myself having to look at my left hand a lot more than I used to and I'm hoping it won't take 45 years to retrain my mind to the new positioning.

But I must admit I do like the feel of the new machine. So I guess I'll just keep plugging away and trying to slide my left hand to new lengths.

And guys, I'll try no to screw up too often.

Don

No comments: