Busted

The Grateful We're Not Dead has finally achieved a modicum of notoriety. Not quite to the same degree as entailed in Dr. Hook's Cover of the Rolling Stone:
Rolling Stone, wanna see my picture on the cover
Stone, wanna buy five copies for my mother
Stone, wanna see my smilin' face
On the cover of the 'Rolling Stone'.
but we did manage to attract the attention of a by-law officer.

On Saturday, September 22nd, we entertained at the Ariel Court End of Summer Party. After finishing the first one-hour set we were standing around having a beer when up drives a City of Ottawa by-law officer. Apparently, someone on a neighbouring street had phoned to complain about a band playing loud country music. This young chap was quite nice so we invited him in for a beer and something to eat (which he declined). He informed us of the City of Ottawa Noise By-law requirements:
The following is considered a violation under the by-law... operating a sound reproduction device in a residence between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. that exceeds 55 dBA when measured at or inside the property line of the person disturbed.
Now 55 dBA is less than the level of a normal conversation measured at 1 metre.

Seeing as he was there with a sound level meter, we asked him in to take a reading. The Grateful We're Not Dead then launched into J.D. Wilson's Boob Song
I think God made boobs for me.
They're about my very favourite thing to see.
I like them big and I like them small,
Don'tcha know I love them all.
I think God made boobs for me.
and we clocked in at 80 dBA (about the level of the dial tone of your telephone), measured about 10 metres directly in front of one of the PA speakers. So being good little Ottawa citizens we promised to turn down the volume for the next set and he went merrily on his way. But not before it was suggested that he invite the Grateful We're Not Dead to play at his next party.



All in all, the party was a resounding success. The food was excellent, the drinks were cold, the music was great (biased opinion) and we'd like to pass on a big 'Thank You' to the hosts: John, Barbara and Jayme Reid. Hopefully, we'll see y'all again next year.

No comments: